An endowment fund at the University of Texas was established with our first contribution of $1,100 in 1934. Contributions were made to this fund over a period of years, until the endowment reached sufficient size to support awarding of annual fellowships. Mildred Englert is the branch member whose donation completed the endowment. The Austin Branch has awarded graduate fellowships yearly since 1985 to women who are doctoral candidates at The University of Texas at Austin. Beginning with the 1985-1986 academic year, ninety (90) women have received fellowships from our branch, to financially assist them in completing the final year of their doctoral studies.
*** Fellowship applications for 2021-2022 school year ****
AAUW Austin Branch will award a minimum of 3 fellowships this year, each in the amount of at least $2,000 to female doctoral candidates at the University of Texas – Austin. Deadline for submission: 5:00 PM CST on Monday, March 22, 2021. Announcement of awards will be made by April 19, 2021.
Twenty doctoral candidates from a broad range of disciplines at the University of Texas submitted applications for the AAUW fellowships for the 2020-2021 academic year. The scholarship committee, consisting of Elizabeth Newell, Janet Widoff, Mary Ellen Scribner, Jean Bessent, and Joyce Pulich, reviewed the students’ applications, statements, references and academic credentials. The committee members agreed that the applications were exceptional and the choice was difficult. After careful consideration, they selected five women to receive awards of $2,800. The recipients are:
- Lucy Le Blanc, a PhD candidate in Microbiology at the Institute of Cellular and Molecular Biology.
- Sierra Mendez, a fourth-year doctoral student in Rhetoric & Writing.
- Williamena Granger, a PhD candidate in Architecture who explores the corona virus crisis as it manifested itself at a care center for the elderly,
- Caroline Johnson is a doctoral candidate in American Studies at the University of Texas.
- Maro Youssef is a dissertation away from a PhD in Sociology at the University of Texas.
A complete list of UT Austin Doctoral fellowship recipients is up-to-date and available at
For information about fellowships and grants available from AAUW National, visit www.aauw.org/what-we-do/educational-funding-and-awards/.